Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Expiration date?

My summer vacation is a little less that a week old and I am trying to eat right so I got rid of all the junk food in my house. You know I would't waste any tasty goodies, so I pretty much spent the weekend "getting rid" of all my snacks until I felt like my belly was gonna explode.

I decided to just eat cereal for a few days to get my system into healthy mode. However, I underestimated my supply and unfortunately ran out last night after my bowl of dinner. No biggie, right? I'll just run out and get some more......or so I thought. As usual, I fell asleep on the sofa watching TV and woke up at 2 am. So I would not be re-supplying on this day.

This morning I got up a little later than anticipated and went out for a run. Then i remembered that PGW was coming to replace my gas meter so I had to clean up my garage. Next thing I knew it was noon and they told me they would be there between noon-4:00. So I had to stay in the house, meaning no going out to buy cereal.

As afternoon approached I began to get hungry. Real hungry. I hadn't eaten breakfast and I ran 2.5 miles. Really hungry. I searched my cabinets but nothing good to eat. I looked in the fridge.....nothing. I open the freezer and see a loaf of whole grain bread from last summer. Ah-ha! That was my favorite lunch last summer....whole grain toast with a little pb&j. But it's a year old.....hmmmm. I thought about it for a minute and looked it over. It had a lot of ice crystals on it, but no mold. My tummy grumbled and I threw it in the toaster. As it was toasting i looked for an expiration date....nothing.

I slapped on some pb&j and ate it. I have to say that it didn't really toast up right. It went from frozen right to real stale and crunchy. But it kept me from starving. And so far (knock on wood) no bad "side effects" if you know what i mean.

So what do you guys think....bad idea? Would you have eaten it?

P.S. The PGW guy never showed up so I could have just gone out and bought some more honey nut cheerios. Oh well...

No comments: