Saturday, March 22, 2008

Road hypnosis

So I’m driving up the highway today on my way to the welder, and all of the sudden I realize I’m singing along to a Backstreet Boys song on the radio. WTF?!?! I would never sing along to the Backstreet Boys....come to think of it I would never even leave on a radio station playing them. As I try to calm myslef down and convince myself that this is not some sort of 3/8 life crisis (in between quarter life and mid-life....i’m a math teacher) I start to remember hearing about a phenomenon called "road hypnosis" where people become hypnotised by focusing on the road while driving. I was totally coherent of my driving....it’s just that I was SO focused on my driving that I no longer had control over my ability to choose what I sing.

So now I am starting to wonder about how "road hypnosis" could be used for the common good. Could I use it to help my students memorize thier multiplictation talbes? I could convince parents to let their kids drive the car down the highway until they reach hypnosis, and then read the times tables to them in hopes that they will know they when they wake up. Or maybe it could be used to help people who are really bad dressers, like get them to drive to road hypnosis level, and then wisper things like "you want to throw out your M.C. Hammer pants" or "your 8-ball jacket would best be left in your closet."

What do you think?

1 comment:

pearly said...

hmmmm...i wore a yo mtv jacket to my calculus class in high school. i'm asian, of course i rule in math! if you can get your students to do math and do the typewriter dance, that would be insanely amazing.